Bulgarians suffered greatly under Communism until 1989, and the residual effects still have a grip on this nation, which is the poorest country in the EU. Many people choose to leave Bulgaria for a better life elsewhere. Those who stay are bombarded with political upheaval such as the current situation. Church planters and missionaries are needed to add to the estimated 1.9% evangelical Christian population in Bulgaria. Please be in prayer for many Bulgarians to come to know the true and lasting peace that is found in Christ alone. The message of the Gospel has the power to save and free from fear of an unknown future.
Across the world, the winter of 2022 has been feared because of the massive increase in energy prices. Many people are experiencing a negative gap between their income and cost of living, and it has many worried about the future. In Bulgaria, thousands of people have taken part in demonstrations demanding an increase in salary to compensate for the inflation. The country’s two largest unions organized a protest outside of Parliament, during which time they gave the government a joint declaration to speed up the adoption of next year’s budget. This is in hopes that the government will promote an increase in the minimum wage instead of it being frozen at the current amount. In less than two years, Bulgaria has had four general elections, leaving the country with a caretaker cabinet and a split parliament. This fragmented system has resulted in a political stalemate, which will need to be fixed in order to submit and pass a budget.
Bulgaria, the poorest European Union country, is plagued by poverty, a declining population, and racial tension. Christianity is the largest religion, however, only 1% are evangelicals. Please pray for the Christians there to properly show the love of Christ to unbelievers, and for others to join them in spreading the Gospel. Although hope in a government is futile, Bulgarians can have everlasting hope in Jesus Christ.
During the month of June, the Bulgarian government collapsed, prompting quick political action. Bulgarian president Rumen Radev called for the country to vote in a snap election for a new prime minister after former Prime Minister Kiril Petkov was ousted. When Petkov left office, none of the four political parties was capable of gaining a majority vote, meaning that this will be the fourth parliamentary election in just two years in Bulgaria. In the meantime, the parliament will be led by Galab Donev, the former minister of labour. There is a possibility that the upcoming snap election will produce yet another split parliament.
Bulgaria is no stranger to political division. It was a nation dominated by communism from the 1940s until 1989, and today, political and racial tensions undercut the society. It is the poorest country in the European Union, forcing many citizens to emigrate; however, a new government is not the answer to the problems in Bulgaria. It is a very religious nation, but only 1% of the 6,896,655 people are evangelical Christians. Someone needs to take the Gospel to the other 99%. Will you pray for labourers for Bulgaria and ask if God wants you to become one of them?
Bulgaria is often an unassuming country. With a population of only seven million, many times it can become lost in the shuffle of the outreaches of Europe. Connected to Turkey at its border, the nation rests in Europe and neighbors Asia.
Bulgaria has a rich Balkan history, but sadly it is poor by way of the gospel! The majority of the nation follows the Eastern Orthodox religion. Sadly, they believe that religion and works will lead their path to Heaven.
As a missionary to Turkey, I find this nation interesting because the Turkish nomads fill the fields of Bulgaria. They need the gospel! A young and surrendered man could easily be trained, raise his support, and be on his way to reach this people group. Bulgaria needs a willing missionary!
Please pray that the Lord would send someone to this needy field. Maybe that someone is you. Who will make a difference in the lives of the seven million in Bulgaria?